22.10.06

WILLIAMS OUT!

Mark Williams has pulled out of the Royal London Watches Grand Prix because of a broken wrist.

Ridiculously, this means that Stuart Bingham has been eliminated - even though he beat Williams on Satuday.

This is because, according to the rules, a match involving any player who withdraws is declared null and void.

So Bingham and Robin Hull - who beat the Welshman 3-1 tonight - have effectively been penalised through no fault of their own.

This is what Williams said: “My wrist is really hurting. I can’t play properly and I didn’t want to make it worse so I’ve decided to pull out and rest it before the next tournament.

“Every time I played a shot with a bit of pace I got a lot of pain. I’ve never pulled out of a tournament before and it’s not very nice.

“Even if I’d won my decision would have been the same. Maybe I should never have come here but I wanted to give it a go. But it’s no good.”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave, It seems that this kind of format is not as fair as it looks. Robin has chances but Bingham's hope is doom.

Anonymous said...

Dave,

When was that rule introduced?!

And why did Mark Williams bother to turn up, if his wrist was in such pain?

He struggled in both matches.

Thanks, Joe

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,

check it out.

http://www.worldsnooker.com/news_latest-18154